The Propspeed system
Propspeed is a foul release coating system designed and proven to prevent marine growth from bonding to metal surfaces below the water line. The Propspeed system is made up of a two component etching primer, which bonds to the metal substrate and a clear coat, which provides an ultra-smooth outer layer. Combined they provide an integrated foul release system that stays firmly adhered to the props and running gear, dramatically reducing the ability for fouling to occur. This makes the Propspeed System one of the most effective and longest lasting propeller and running gear coating systems available on the market today.
New to the Propspeed range is Propstrip, the revolutionary new Propspeed remover. Incredibly easy to apply, it takes the hard work out of removing Propspeed, saving you time and money!
Fouling of running gear is a constant headache for boat-owners, resulting in increased fuel consumption, loss of speed and excessive noise and vibration. The loss of performance is most keenly felt in sport boats, but is also evident in the increased cost of running larger commercial vessels. We’re constantly told by boat-owners from around the world that having Propspeed on their boat’s running gear increases their speed and reduces their fuel consumption.
Conventional antifouling uses biocides to prevent marine growth on metal. These typically contain copper, which is a potent marine contaminant. Once the supply of biocide is used up the coating loses its effectiveness, requiring a re-coating. This can occur within a few months, especially for high speed propellers, or boats in marine rich environments. Propspeed is different. It contains no biocides, copper or tin. It works because it’s slick, not because it’s toxic.
The Propspeed system has been refined to give exceptional performance to boat-owners around the world, allowing more time spent enjoying your boat and less time maintaining it! As with any product, to ensure optimum performance there are a few limitations that need to be considered:
- Preparation is key, and the correct application of Propspeed is crucial to obtaining the ultra-smooth final coat. We strongly recommend a trained applicator is used.
- The minimum temperature for application is 5°C, with a maximum humidity of 85%.
- Electrolysis of a vessel or even a vessel nearby can blow the coating system off the running gear.
- Propspeed is a soft coating and is easily damaged by mechanical abrasion, fishing tackle or ropes around the running gear. Vessels used in sandy shallow areas may also be affected by the propeller tips being scoured.
- Propspeed is not recommended or approved for use in aquaculture or for contact with food products.
More information on Propspeed can be found here.